Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pour, Pour Me

Spent the weekend, and two days of time off from work more or less completing the slab for the shed.  Word of advice:  if you ever get the chance to hand mix and pour a concrete slab of any size, don't.  I wouldn't mind doing something smaller, but this thing turned out to be a monster

We hauled the 35 sacks of concrete mix to the back yard on Saturday morning.  Knowing that it was going to take a while to mix and pour, I delayed starting the job until Sunday morning.  We (my 13 year old son and I) spent about four hours mixing and pouring on Sunday morning, before running short of concrete.  I left the end incomplete, and went to buy more.

Monday morning, we mixed and poured four more bags.   Still not enough (but close).  More concrete...  it took one more bag, but we got it done on Tuesday morning.  I also mixed up a bag of mortar to dress up the first part of the slab poured on Sunday, since when I followed the directions, it was really stiff and difficult to work satisfactorily.  Adding 30% more water made it a a lot better.  It was probably the heat.  Still looks like $#!&, but I figure that I can throw down a thin layer of mortar to dress it after I get the bottom plates (and walls) installed.

Pictures coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment